The Mask, the Music and the Man

There are most likely a million other blogs, reviews, and videos about The Phantom of the Opera.  I mean, it's not a musical that no one has ever heard of.  Enjoying this musical does not make me different or unique.  This means now there can be 1,000,001 methods of viewing others opinions on this musical because of me and that's exciting, right?!
This is my favourite musical.  I first saw it in Toronto and was mesmerized the entire time.  As act 1 came to an end, I couldn't contain my excitement but also my sadness that there was only one act left.  After that I did everything I could to keep my love for it going.  I read the book, watched the 25th anniversary from Royal Albert Hall, learned every word of every song and saw it on Broadway.  But the one thing I didn't and still haven't done is actually watch the movie.  So... why haven't I?  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy movie musicals.  Les Misérables was great.  It's one of my favourite movies, but something inside of myself will not allow me to watch The Phantom of the Opera movie.  I think my love for this musical runs so deep that I will not let myself ruin it with the movie.  But why would the movie even ruin it??  I guess we shouldn't go as far as to say it would completely ruin it, maybe just not let me appreciate it as much.  This show is the first I ever saw as a live, big, theatrical performance.  As soon as the chandelier ascended and lit up, and the orchestra played that song that everyone knows so well, I knew I loved it.  There was no question in my mind that I would love it forever.  The feeling of being able to see that happen live is something I will never forget, so I don't want a movie to be what comes into my mind when I think of it.  I don't want to risk enjoying it and forgetting that feeling like magic was real.  I know, cheesy, right?  That is really how I felt and still feel.  And what if the movie is still good, but not THAT good, you know?  Even if I loved the movie, it is not the same as seeing it live and the feelings that are brought along with it.  Now, I know that not everyone has the opportunity to experience that and I wish they did,  but that can be the good thing about musicals.  You can still listen to them at home and have your own experience.  Yes, it is different than seeing a show live, but that is not a bad thing.  A lot of people love The Phantom of the Opera movie and I hope that people who do not get to see it live are content with that because that is still a really good thing to have.  As I'm saying all of this, I do not want to come across as a snobby, theatre going person.  I live somewhere where I do not get to see a lot of shows live, so when I do get that opportunity, I seize it and treasure it forever.



What is my favourite song from the musical?
-The Point of No Return

How many time have I seen it?
-twice (Toronto and New York City)

Favourite Christine
-Sierra Boggess (though I saw Ali Ewoldt and loved her!)

Favourite Phantom
-Ramin Karimloo (I guess I loved the 25th anniversary??)


See ya soon:)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this About?